This is a variation on a soup recipe given to me by my mum. She had followed their recipe as part of the diet plan she was on (I never remember which popular chain it was so I’m not naming for fear I get it wrong!) But obviously diet recipes are limiting to fit in a particular calorie or nutritional value, whereas I’m just interested in flavour!
This soup is vegan and the below recipe makes about 4-6 portions.
Butternut Squash Soup
1 large butternut squash
4-6 small potatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion
- Firstly, finely chop the garlic and onion and fry over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add the diced squash for a further 2 minutes.
- Mix the stock with 900ml water and add everything to the one large pot.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and add them to the pot.
- Leave to simmer for 30 mins, ensuring the soup does not boil over.
- Add the final 100ml of water and some thyme to taste. Summer for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste if you wish.
I’ve found this method makes at least 4 adult sized portions of soup and at least 2 toddler sized portions for our family.